-The already-decimated Bengals defensive secondary took another hit yesterday when they placed rookie CB/S Brandon Ghee on injured reserve with a nagging groin injury. Ghee was the last player on-hand at the draft to be selected–the last pick of round three. The corner/safety has good athleticism, but never showed a penchant for the big play in college, and didn’t make much of an impact in his six games in the pros to date. Ghee finishes with nine tackles. Ghee joins Chris Crocker, Adam Jones, Morgan Trent, and Gibril Wilson as DB’s on injured reserve. The team replaced him on the active roster with rookie LB Vincent Rey. There are now 13 players on the Bengals’ injured reserve list. Is it just me, or does the team just start throwing everyone on IR once it’s clear that its a lost season?
-Speaking of Jones, the Bengals were apparently ordered to begin garnishing his wages due to defaulting on some expensive car leases. Apparently the debt was over $250,000. Now he’s got another reason to get his life together and fulfill his potential as an NFL player.
– OT Andrew Whitworth leads all AFC tackles in Pro Bowl voting. This is an impressive stat considering the team’s record, and even more so considering the team played him at guard earlier in his career. Coming out of LSU, many draftniks thought he was too slow-footed to play right tackle in the NFL, let alone left. Congrats to ‘Whit’, one of the few guys playing up to expectations this year.
-Speaking of the Pro Bowl, T.O. is ranked second in voting for AFC wide-outs. Owens has certainly been as advertised with the Bengals, although it hasn’t fixed the anemic offense. It will be interesting to see if Mike Brown, who recently indicated he ain’t goin’ anywhere as GM, does with the 37-year old receiver. He’s having a stellar season, and recently said he’d like to come back to Cincy in 2011. One question would be whether or not the Bengals feel he’s too old to keep with whatever wholesale changes may be coming. And then there’s his world-famous mouth that gets him into trouble.
-Speaking of, T.O. made some headlines after Sunday’s most recent debacle by criticizing the play-calling. Not good for team morale, but absolutely spot-on. He also gave the Steelers some unneeded bulletin board material by tweeting that Big Ben is a softie:
“i’ve played w/2 screws & a plate n my ankle and a broken leg! And tht ws a severe injury! A broken nose??? Puh-lease! Lmao!”
-Middle Linebacker Dhani Jones made the Forbes.com list of best-dressed athletes. Between his clothing line and his show on the Travel Channel, Jones has some post-NFL income to count on, which is good considering this is likely his last year wit the Bengals. The only other NFL player to make it was Tom Brady, who desperately needs to cut his hair. Dude looks like Marcia Brady.
Sports Gab Network
Show Your Team Spirit
Bengals Gab Newsletter
Sign up to receive our Bengals Gab newsletter, and keep up to date with all the latest Cincinnati Bengals news.
- A.J. Green Does Not Want the Franchise Tag on
- Steelers Players Upset Over Vontaze Burfict’s Hit on Antonio Brown on
- Bengals to Visit with Free Agent Safety Eric Reid on
- Grab The NEW Bengals Cardiac Cats Shirt From Smack Apparel! on
- Bengals LB Vontaze Burfict Suspended Three Games for Saturday Hit on Brown on