Andy Dalton produced plenty of memories over the years as the starting quarterback for the Cincinnati Bengals, but at the end of the day, not winning in the playoffs likely sealed the 32 year olds fate.
“This city has been our home since I got drafted here, and this city’s meant a lot,” Dalton said after the team released him Thursday.
“I’m thankful for all the people that we’ve met. There’s been a lot of good people in Cincinnati who have pushed me, my wife and my family to be better people, and we’re grateful for that.”
By releasing Dalton and four other veterans, the Bengals cleared $41.6 million toward its 2020 cap allotment.
The Bengals QB was set to earn $17.7 million in the last year of a six-year contract worth $96 million.
Cincinnati really didn’t have the cap space to keep Dalton and sign its incoming rookie class. The move to get rid of Dalton opens the door as planned for Joe Burrow to be the starter from day one.
Burrow, the first overall pick last Thursday in the NFL Draft, threw 60 touchdowns in 2019, an FBS record, and won the Heisman Trophy as he led the Tigers to the national championship.
“Andy will always hold a special place with this franchise, and I know that he holds a special place in my heart,” team president Mike Brown said in a statement.
“This is a hard day for our club because we know and appreciate what a consummate professional Andy has always been. We respect and appreciate Andy, and we thank him.”
Sports Gab Network
Show Your Team Spirit
Bengals Gab Newsletter
Sign up to receive our Bengals Gab newsletter, and keep up to date with all the latest Cincinnati Bengals news.
- A.J. Green Does Not Want the Franchise Tag on
- Steelers Players Upset Over Vontaze Burfict’s Hit on Antonio Brown on
- Bengals to Visit with Free Agent Safety Eric Reid on
- Grab The NEW Bengals Cardiac Cats Shirt From Smack Apparel! on
- Bengals LB Vontaze Burfict Suspended Three Games for Saturday Hit on Brown on