Asked at the NFL owners’ meetings in New Orleans if SLB Rey Maualuga could step in at middle linebacker in 2011, Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis said the former USC star would be capable of such a move. “I think Rey is ready to take over however we decide to put things together,” Lewis said, according to the team.
“I think if he’s given that opportunity, I think he’ll excel at it. Rey Maualuga can handle it (mentally).” Lewis also indicated Michael Johnson would be a candidate to replace Maualuga on the strong side if Maualuga moves to the middle. Dhani Jones, the team’s starting middle linebacker in ’10, is slated to be an unrestricted free agent.
Sports Gab Network
Show Your Team Spirit
Bengals Gab Newsletter
Sign up to receive our Bengals Gab newsletter, and keep up to date with all the latest Cincinnati Bengals news.
- A.J. Green Does Not Want the Franchise Tag on
- Steelers Players Upset Over Vontaze Burfict’s Hit on Antonio Brown on
- Bengals to Visit with Free Agent Safety Eric Reid on
- Grab The NEW Bengals Cardiac Cats Shirt From Smack Apparel! on
- Bengals LB Vontaze Burfict Suspended Three Games for Saturday Hit on Brown on