Bengals.com today revealed some excerpts from a recent interview with Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis. The full extent of the interview has yet to be published, but the teaser article Hobson puts out certainly whetts the appetite for more details.
Some juicy morsels:
- Lewis feels that RB Cedric Benson’s recent arrest was the result of him getting “sucker punched in a bar” and he is confident there will be no league discipline. Naturally, PFT has picked upon this, and Florio, as usual, neglects to see the full picture. He chooses to focus on Lewis’ defense of Cedric and points to it as evidence that he is in lock-step with Mike Brown in excusing the transgressions of players. For the record, Coach Lewis says that while Benson and WR Maurice Purify were “attacked,” they must learn the hard lesson of being able to walk away. He finishes his post with another dig at the Bengals, failing to point out that 16 teams (1/2 the league) have had at least one player arrested in 2010, with Tennessee and Miami each having four.
- He also seemed a bit miffed at the question, suggesting that it wouldn’t even be asked if it were any other player on any other team.
- He states that he hasn’t gotten a new deal finalized with Boss Brown yet, but they are talking and he’s “confident”. He insists he’s not burned out, and doesn’t want to go into television. He does want to continue coaching, (maybe for the highest bidder?) and likes the direction the team is going in.
- He refused to comment on T.O., saying only that “I don’t want to speak (about Terrell). We’ve been down that road,” adding “I don’t have a concern that we need to add anybody (at receiver).” Of course, this can be read that he has no interest. But then again that was not a “no.” Seems to me if it was “No”, saying “No” would leave “no” doubt, which he did not do.
- Lastly, he feels Chad’s busy offseason will not detract from his football as training camp approaches.
As if that’s not enough, old Hobs gives us some tantalizing tidbits about Jermaine Gresham being the best TE Lewis has seen in 8 years, and how CP is high on Jordan Palmer.
Can’t wait to see the rest of this one. Stay tuned….
Sports Gab Network
Show Your Team Spirit
Bengals Gab Newsletter
Sign up to receive our Bengals Gab newsletter, and keep up to date with all the latest Cincinnati Bengals news.